Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick's Day +1

So, Being a relatively new resident of the city of Boston I didn't really know what to expect from this rather strange holiday.

Actually, I still don't. I read in the paper that the police were cracking down on public drinking... The radio DJ's on my favorite morning show were extolling the virtues of people who were cleverly managing to drink before 6AM while they were waiting to get into a bar that opened at 8AM... I went to a party this weekend (that was fantastic... thank you everyone) that was, among other things, a booze fest with Irish food (read corned beef and potatoes). It was a Tuesday night and on my walk home from the subway at 10:15pm there were people wandering from pub to pub all over town. I'm dating an wonderful Irish woman who doesn't really think the holiday is all that...

So... My observations lead me to the conclusion that several things are important about this holiday.
  1. The Color Green
  2. Drinking
  3. Drinking
  4. Something to do with Ireland(?)
I'm left with one question. What is St. Patrick's Day all about? What is it celebrating? I'm sure I learned this in grade school but I only vaguely remember. Also... the questioning part of me wonders how it ended up being what it is today?

My favorite parts of the whole thing? -- Everyone's having to dress in green, green decorations, green everything. So much Green all together makes me feel like fresh fields, springtime and sunshine which = Happiness. Second, all the homeless people on the way to the subway today were decked out in items discarded from yesterdays festivities... Shopping carts were draped in green flags and 4 leaf clover cutouts. Green plastic hats, beads and masks were in abundant evidence over stained coats, softening otherwise rough countenances. How could you not smile? I'm calling it St. Patrick's Day +1. I think perhaps seeing these people benefiting and having a good time would have made St. Patrick the most proud of his modern legacy.

No comments: