Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow day...

Today I accidentally went to work on a snow day...    This, as it turns out, was not so bad.  

I find shoveling snow to be one of those Zen chores.  You can be standing outside in a terrible whiteout and still be warm... the gift of your own exertions.   It's quiet, the snow muffling extraneous noise...   I also love how everyone is friendlier in their shared misery, exchanging snow removal tips and tools and cooperating to dig out cars, driveways and sidewalks.

When else does driving have the added excitement that comes from unexpected motion on a horizontal plane?

The bus stop had become home to 1000 sleeping pigeons seeking shelter from the precipitation and the wind, forcing all the humans out into the snow.  I found this hilarious....

There is a lot to be said for having to climb over snowbanks and break into your own office.  I had the place to myself for most of the day...  I got to run around in my socks and build up static charge on the carpet.  No one called or asked me for anything all day.  I actually got work done!  I got so much work done that I got to toss around ideas for creative video projects with a friend online, and finish some of my homework on the side.   The office was not 1,000,000,000 degrees like it usually is because some kind soul left the stairwell window open over the weekend...  I could have built a snowman inside as a result.   

I got to stand by the window and watch the snow fall on the city from a safe and warm place.  Blanketing, temporarily, the dirt and grime that usually covers the streets and making everything a more pristine white...

No comments: